Saturday, July 6, 2013

More wonderings from Cranebrook

Dear Word Spy,

- What gave you the idea for The Word Spy?
- Will you ever come to our school and meet us?
- How old were you when you first wrote a book?
- Do any of your children want to be authors too?
- Have you ever written any books for adults? (Not that Miss Jeffery minds, she loves your children’s books!!!)

From 5E in Cranebrook

Dear 5E,

These questions are great! here goes...

I got the idea when I was working on "The School Magazine" (he-hem, see last blog post!) I thought it would be fun to have a monthly column all about WORDS and after a while I had quite a few columns. Then my editor (and illustrator) Tohby Riddle said: hey Ursula, maybe you could turn this into a book?

It would be great to come to your school - maybe in Term 4?

Well, I was OLD when I had my first story published as a book. I think I was TWENTY-SIX. But I had been writing lots of stories before that, they just didn't turn into books.

About my children, I would love them to be writers. So fingers crossed!

I haven't ever really written a book for adults. Every time I sit down to write, what I feel like writing is a book for children. But lots of adults read children's books, so I feel as if I am writing for both adults and children.

Phew! Got through those. Hope you all have some strange and exhilarating wordy adventures this week.

yours, under sunny skies,

The Word Spy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your question for the Word Spy ...