Thursday, July 19, 2012

Wondering about a butterfly from Lizzy11

Dear Word Spy,
 

Yes I will keep them coming.
 

Where did butterfly, insulin,juice and clock come from?
 

Your wondering Friend
Lizzy11
 

P.S How's the weather down there? 

Dear Lizzy11,

The weather is WET and WINDY but in its own way WONDERFUL.

Now, onto your words. I will start with butterfly. This is one of those words that nobody is really certain where it comes from. It might be because butterflies hover like flies over buckets of butter; it might be that they are the colour of butter; it might be neither of those things - it's a mystery!

But somehow that seems just right for such beautiful and mysterious creatures. A famous Chinese philosopher Zhuangzi, who lived in the 4th Century BC, once had a dream about a butterfly. And when he woke up this is what he said:
I do not know whether I was a man dreaming I was a butterfly,
or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I was a man.
I am pretty sure I am NOT a butterfly. (Or am I?)

More on the other words soon. Now I must flutter! Bye!

yours, The Word Spy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your question for the Word Spy ...