Monday, October 3, 2011

How do oats grow? from Andrew

Dear Word Spy,

My mum told me the first thing she remembers learning at school is a song that she can still sing. It goes:

Oats and beans and barley grow
Oats and beans and barley grow
Do you or I or anyone know
How oats and beans and barley grow?

PS she says she never found out, not even at university.

I'm one of your biggest fans and so is my friend Liam.

from Andrew



Dear Andrew,

Hey, tell your Mum I know that song too! That's the thing about school, isn't it, that you learn lots and lots of questions, but not so many answers....

I made me think of another funny song about oats that goes:

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wooden shoe?

If you're wondering what THAT'S about, have a look here for some enlightenment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dny_JDlwGFM

Hint: you have to listen to the whole song to find out the answer!

Say hi to Liam (and your mum) for me, and thanks for the message, it made me smile.

Still singing! from the Word Spy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your question for the Word Spy ...