Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Um from Deek

Dear Word Spy,

What do people in other languages say instead of "um"?

Deek the donut


Dear Deek the donut,

That's a clever question (and the first I've ever had from a donut.) All languages have funny little words that people use while they're thinking of what they're going to say next. It's a way of saying to the person listening to you - wait, I'm still thinking, don't give up on me!

I know that in French people say "euh" and in Hebrew I've heard people say "em" and in Spanish I've heard people say "vale" (pronounced bah-lay). I wonder if you know some others? You could ask your friends who speak other languages. If you find out, write and tell me.

Um, er, it's goodbye for now, from

The Word Spy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your question for the Word Spy ...