Thursday, June 18, 2009

Freaking out in Old English from Eliza

Dear Word Spy,

That post you put before was good. When I grow up, I want to learn to speak Old English. I think it would be interesting to freak everybody out.

From Eliza

P.S. Did Merlin speak Old English?


Dear Eliza,

That will be fantastic! (And interesting.) You can learn Old English at university, but remember sometimes it's called Anglo-Saxon.

In the meantime, there's plenty of information on the internet. This is just one website that will teach you some Old English: http://webspace.ship.edu/cgboer/evolenglish.html.

And here's a few words to get you started! (Don't forget that funny looking "P" is a "th" sound.)

Min nama is - My name is
Hwæt eart þu? -- Who are you?
Ic nat
-- I don't know
Wa me
-- Woe is me!

from your leof, the Word Snoop

PS I guess Merlin would have spoken Old English, if he had been a real person...Or was he?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your question for the Word Spy ...