Friday, April 10, 2009

Having fun on a tightrope

Dear Word Spy,

Do you know what a funambulist is? I do.

from Gerta

Dear Gerta,

Aha - now that is a wonderful word, and strangely enough, I do happen to know what it is. This is because secretly, from when I was little, I have always wanted to be one... (Hint for those who don't know: look at the title of this post.)

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, it doesn't have anything to do with having fun! It comes from two Latin words (remember the old language the Ancient Romans used to speak?)
Funis, which means "rope" and ambulo, which means "I walk".

So where do we get the word "fun" from? Is that something to do with a rope too?

Watch this space!!!!!!

from the funambulating Word Spy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your question for the Word Spy ...